- Greenman School is named for Professor Arthur V. Greenman (1852-1909).
- He served as School District 129’s superintendent from 1890 until 1909.
- Greenman was the longest serving superintendent in the history of the West Aurora Schools (nineteen years).
- During his tenure, three new schools were built in the district: South Lake Street School (later renamed the Abraham Lincoln Elementary School), Galena Street School (later named for A.V. Greenman), and West Aurora High School on Galena Boulevard and Blackhawk Street.
- In addition, Greenman oversaw the renovation of two existing schools: Pennsylvania Avenue School (later named for Nancy L. Hill) and the Oak Street School (later named for Mary A. Todd).
- To demonstrate Greenman’s penchant for excellence, the final eleven weeks of school in 1897 were devoted to the study of Virgil, Cicero, Nepos, Shakespeare, Edmund Burke, Joseph Addison and George Eliot. And, that was merely a prelude for the high school students’ summer readings!
Arthur V. GREENMAN
Greenman Elementary School
Constructed 1906 (known as Galena Street School)
The School was named Greenman in 1916
The newly constructed school was built in 2004
729 W. Galena Blvd
Aurora, IL 60506